A CHINHOYI couple lost a five-year-old child when a neighbour’s galvanised steel stand gave in to the weight of a loaded 5 000 litre water-tank and fell on the two-roomed cottage that they rented from around 4am today. (Friday)
The tragic incident also led to the couple and their nine-year-old child sustaining serious injuries and are currently battling for life at Chinhoyi Provincial Hospital.
The incident occurred at house number 11919 in Rujeko high-density suburb.
The deceased, Tendai Matumba (5) was pronounced dead upon arrival at the same hospital.
Tendai’s brother Tatenda (9), was said to be in a critical condition while the mother injured her right leg, hand and also received four stitches to one of her ears.
The father, Peter Matumba (30)’s injuries were also said to be severe.
The couple’s landlord, Sibisisiwe Nyamachewa said she was awakened by a loud bang and screams of the family wallowing in pain and asking for help.
“It was around 4am when I heard a loud bang followed by cries of a woman asking for help.
“I realised something was terribly wrong but I was shocked by what I saw.
“When I got out out of (the main house), I realised that the 5000-litre-water tank had fallen on the cottage while neighbours were busy rendering help to the family.
“They had managed to retrieve Tendai and were busy trying to give her help. I rushed through the rubble and assisted Tatenda while help was also being rendered to the father,” she said.