Teen Tired Of Living Commits Suicide

In a disturbing development, a teen from Binga committed suicide by hanging and left a suicide note claiming he was tired of living.

iHarare has established that an 18-year-old boy, committed suicide after he was summoned by family elders on Saturday on suspicion that he had raped and impregnated his niece.

Matabeleland North police spokesperson Chief Inspector Siphiwe Makonese confirmed the incident which occurred under Chief Saba’s area.

“We received a case of a teenager who committed suicide after family members learned that he had impregnated his niece and summoned him for a family meeting. He allegedly hanged himself after being asked about the issue. We are concerned because this is one of the many cases of abuse of girls by a close relative,” said Chief Insp Makonese.

It is alleged that on Saturday the now deceased was summoned by family elders on suspicion that he had raped and impregnated his niece. During the meeting, he apparently admitted to raping his niece once.

On Sunday he disappeared from home. It was only in that in the afternoon that his mother realized that he was not around. Worried about her son’s whereabout she started to search for him, that is when she discovered the suicide note in his room. The note read:

“I am fed up with life, till we meet in heaven. I admit that I impregnated my niece.”

Fearing the worst, the deceased’s mother alerted neighbors to help her search for her son. The deceased body was only found hanging with a piece of wire from a tree in a nearby bush on Monday morning.

The body was taken to Hwange Colliery Hospital mortuary

Chief Inspector Makonese said that the police are concerned about the increasing number of rape cases perpetrated by close relatives during the lockdown. She also appealed to families to protect minor children especially the girl child.

“We are worried because we’re receiving many cases of rape by relatives during this lockdown. We had another case in Tsholotsho where a man had been raping his daughter for five years until recently when the girl’s mother caught him and alerted family elders.”

“The girl revealed to her aunties that her father had been sexually abusing her since 2015 and had been threatening to kill her if she told anyone about the abuse. We also had another case recently of a man here in Hwange who raped his daughter claiming he was checking virginity,” she said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here