Dangling live wire electrocutes 11-year-old boy

A family in Mzilikazi suburb was plunged into grief after their son who had left to look for wild fruits was electrocuted.

The incident happened last Sunday at around 5pm near the flyover in Nguboyenja suburb. B- Metro visited the bereaved family but the parents of the deceased were not around and we spoke to a neighbour who declined to be named.

Narrating the incident the neighbour said Brighton (11) had left with his friends to look for wild fruits at a bushy area near the Nguboyenja flyover. While they were there, Brighton, the neighbour said, spotted a tree with wild fruits and ran towards it.

“He did not notice a live wire which was hanging loosely from a Zesa pole. He stepped on it and tripped. The electrical wire shook him and he died a few metres from the pole,” said a neighbour.

His two friends informed a police officer who was passing by, and the police officer made a report at Entumbane Police Station.

The body of the minor was taken to Mpilo Central Hospital for post – mortem.

The neighbour said the deceased was in Grade Six. He described the minor as a bright respectful child.

“He was a quiet boy who was also a bright pupil. But then death robbed us of him when we least expected it,” said the grief stricken neighbour.

Bulawayo deputy police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Nomalanga Msebele said: “We received a case of sudden death of a 11-year-old boy who was electrocuted in Nguboyenja suburb. We urge parents to keep a watchful eye on their children and never leave them to loiter around aimlessly.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here